Sunday 8 January 2012

Remembering Roots of Life - Part Two

                                    7. I will not  watch movies either at the theatre or at home . This applies to television also. I will not allow tv to decide what I need. The tv may try to tell me what I 'want', but I will tell it,'' Brother, I know what I ''need''. So do not waste your time and my time in telling what I 'want.'  '' I understand that a human being can be happy if he just meets his or her ''needs''. At the same time, he can never be happy if he runs after ''wants''.The movies,the serials and the commercials only create desires in viewers,multiply their wants and end up in squandering money in their pockets and peace in their minds. So,shut the Idiot box.                                    
                                    
                                     8.I will decide to read the news papers just for ten minutes a day ,  as they,unfortunately, are filled with crime,sex,violence and vulgarity. I will read only those items that can enlighten my heart and mind.I will read only those books which will guide me as a lamp in the darkness.I will read only those books which are written by realized souls like the great meditators and men and women of high wisdom. I will go hungry two days even to buy a book. I am more interested in having a good book in my book-shelf than in having pairs of expensive clothes,which my poor brothers and sisters all over the world can not afford to have. But, more than the knowledge in the books, I will set my eyes on the Supreme Source from where all knowledge comes out.

                                      9.I will stop eating non-vegetarian food for the simple reason that I am not carnivorous. Also, the animal food [including eggs] keeps alive in human beings the killing instinct.Dr.Paul Brunton said : ''Non vegetarian food has too much poisonous uric acid and toxic purine in it which makes it unhealthy food.'' I remember what the wise Thomas Jefferson has said : ''The reformation in man should start not in Churches but in kitchens.'' Just remember how much pain would the animal have experienced when it was caught and butchered by heart less people!

                                     10.I will stop taking coffee or tea too frequently. If it is a bit difficult to give up totally, I will  limit them to just one cup a day, and slowly be rid of them completely. But I make it a point to have Green tea or Herb tea, which are wonderful gifts of Nature. I will stand in morning sun and receive with gratitude its great  blessings. I will not sacrifice watching  the two marvels- the sun rise and the sunset for earning a few coins.
                                        11.I will respect Nature around me.I love land,cloud,plant and bird. I believe that he is not human who does not love these. I will not pluck flowers from a plant because I know the pain of children when they are separated from their mother. If I were forced to pluck flowers, I will keep in my mind a few words told by one of my masters.
                                                           [to be continued]  
                                    







                                         

                                     
 

                           .                   

No comments:

Post a Comment